Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chicken Wings!

I'm a wing fan. Any flavor... you name it. Buffalo, Thai, Cajun, Wasabi, Teriyaki, Hawaiian Style, Fruit flavored Citrus, Chipotle, Jerk, Mango, Southwestern, Honey BBQ, Parmesan, Mild, Hot, Volcano, Eviscerator and any other delicious concoctions available. However, I've never made my own.

"GASP!"

Ya I know... pathetic. I feel terrible. Worthless, if not a cheater. Okay, well I'm here to make things right. I've cheated on my BBQ by going elsewhere to find juicy, tender wings with a bit of a bite. Will you forgive me?

Phew... now that's over. Here's my 1st attempt to make amends.
I found a good deal on "No Antibiotics, No Hormones, No Preservatives... EVER!" Draper Valley Farms Chicken Wings. 16 for $5.50; not bad, given their unshakeable assertions.

I decided to go with a simple recipe for my 1st attempt of restitution: Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper!


*** Baste the wings with Olive Oil; add salt & pepper to your liking ***

*** Get grill/coals going! Try to get around 275-350 range; I used Hickory wood chunks for this batch; however, using wood smoke isn't 100% necessary.... if you're a weirdo ***


*** Throw them on & baste other side with Oil, Salt & Pepper ***

*** Flip after about 45 mins ***


*** Prepare Sauce: Frank's Red Hot Original & Tabasco; mix to your liking ***

*** After about 1.5 hours @275 pull from grill; dip/drench in sauce ***


*** SERVE!!! ***


Well, the wings turned out DE-FREAK'N-LICIOUS! The only thing I would change next time would be to throw the wings on my grill on HIGH heat to crisp the outside just a tad. Other than that, they were mouth-wateringly savory!

There you have it... I've been Redeemed....

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the wings. I built my UDS and look forward to experimenting with some wings. Have you figure out how to crispy the skin yet? Grill? Higher cook temps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad to see another Drum Head out there! Definitely throw them on grill (High heat) for a minute or two and that'll crisp them up good. I'm loving my UDS. In fact, I've built several since! Thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete