Thursday, July 7, 2011

2nd UDS Build!

I've had great success with my Ugly Drum Smoker! 1 Pork shoulder for Pulled Pork and 2 Racks of Spare Ribs (will add pics) later & I've pretty much nailed the temperature control. For the Pork Shoulder I was able to keep a consistent 220-225 degrees for over 7 hours without adding charcoal or doing any major vent adjustments!

I had so much fun building my first UDS and after seeing how well it performed, I figured it would be a great gift. I have a friend who's birthday is coming up and he loves grilling and uses his Weber to smoke but must continuously add charcoal in order to maintain longer smokes. BINGO! Sounds like a job for UDS!

He's, unfortuntely, a bigtime Raiders fan. (I'm a hardcore Broncos fan) Thought it would look sharp slapping a Raider's log on the side over the High Heat BBQ Black Paint... well here's how it turned out!



As you can see, I used a Ham Bone that I got from Petco for the lid handle. (Several clear coats applied)


All paint used is High-Heat Paint (1200) including the silver "Helmet Stripes" on the kettle lid.

My buddy & his wife came over for the 4th this past weekend and I surprised him with it! UDS smoked 2 racks of Spare Ribs for 3 hours while we smoked a few Camacho Corojo stogies! Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment